Top-seeded Mary Washington swept all six singles matches against second-seeded Salisbury on the way to an 8-1 win over the Sea Gulls in the 2012 CAC Women's Tennis Championship.
The Eagles won their ninth-straight CAC title and 20th in the 22-year history of CAC women's tennis. UMW gains the CAC's automatic bid to the 2012 NCAA Championship Tournament.
After taking a 2-1 lead with victories at No. 2 and No. 3 doubles, UMW pulled away for the victory by winning five of six singles matches in straight sets.
With the win, the Eagles improve to 15-7 on the season, claim
their ninth straight conference crown, and will advance to the NCAA
Championships next month for the 14th consecutive year.
2012 CAC CHAMPIONSHIP MATCH
#23 Mary Washington 8, Salisbury 1
1. Lindsay Raulston (UMW) def. Jillian Poppe (SAL) 3-6, 6-2, 10-4
2. Michelle Meadows (UMW) def. Elaina Iosue (SAL) 6-4, 6-2
3. Cassie Bowman (UMW) def. Roxanne Alban (SAL) 6-4, 6-0
4. Alex Ritter (UMW) def. Katie Youlios (SAL) 6-3, 6-0
5. Casey Malcolm (UMW) def. Victoria Handlin (SAL) 6-3, 6-1
6. Anna Richman (UMW) def. Allison Lutz (SAL) 6-1, 6-1
1. Jillian Poppe/Roxanne Alban (SAL) def. Michelle Meadows/Jocelyn Lewis (UMW) 8-5
2. Casey Malcolm/Lindsay Raulston (UMW) def. Elaina Iosue/Katie Youlios (SAL) 8-4
3. Cassie Bowman/Anna Richman (UMW) def. Victoria Handlin/Allison Lutz (SAL) 8-4
Mary Washington 15-7; National ranking #23